Day 2, Still Here

It’s now day two of the 31 days, 500 words per day, challenge.

Yesterday, mornings seemed like an ideal time to write. However, this morning kicked off in high gear. I was woken up at 5 a.m. by the yipping, and yammering, of an enormous number of coyote pups, all bent on waking everyone and everything in the river valley at the exact same moment.  And if anyone has ever listened to young coyotes trying to establish their voices, it’s not always soothing to the ears.

This horrendous pack kept up the noise long enough for all thoughts of serious sleep to go out of the window. OK, so maybe it wasn’t a horrendously big pack. In all actuality, it was probably more like two or three pups, but when they’re practising their ventriloquist skills before the sun has even thought of creeping over the horizon they sound like legions of hounds from hell.

So, now I’m awake, the sun isn’t up, there’s no coffee made, and my better half is blissfully snoring in counterpoint to the pups’ wailings. At this time in the morning, I should be able to get several chapters of my book read. However,  that requires turning on a light which will wake up said better half and our conversations at that time of day leave a lot to be desired, as well as unsaid.

When you travel a lot with a motorcycle, you become an expert in the art of travelling light, and down-sizing every necessary item. One thing I acquired a lot of years ago was an e-reader, and now the first thing that is installed whenever I purchase a new phone is my collection of E-reader software, because I refuse, point-blank to ever be stranded somewhere without books to read. A two-hour wait in the doctor’s office is much easier to handle with equanimity if there is something good to read.

But, I digress.

After quietly scrambling in the dark for my phone, I was happily contemplating a couple of hours of peaceful (except for the coyotes) reading. I hit the On button. Nothing happened. I carefully counted the position of the buttons on the side of my phone and pressed the appropriate button again. Again, nothing happened. There was no soft glow of my phone coming to life. I had left too many programs open in the background last night and the thing was dead as a dodo, drained like a marsh, and… well, you get my drift.

Nothing left for it but to try to go back to sleep.

That particular endeavour didn’t pan out in the slightest, but I still thought that I would catch a little peace and quiet once the coffee was brewed and the cat fed, not in that particular order. The phone started ringing by seven-thirty and it was a death-by-telephone marathon from then on that went through most of the day. Days like today should not have to be endured. Did I mention yesterday that I’m not a morning person?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s